How do we collaborate to maintain the environmental quality of Menorca?
We are a family hotel in Menorca committed to maintaining the delicate balance that the environment needs in order not to endanger the resources of the future and involved in managing responsible and sustainable tourism.
One of our objectives within a broad program of support for social and environmental sustainability is to increase the selective collection of waste generated at the Hotel Royal Son Bou Family Club.
We have always obtained your collaboration to achieve this purpose and that is why we want to share with you a news that satisfies us and we hope you will be happy: during 2017 the waste collection records have been improved with respect to 2016.
In 2017 we have gathered:
- 3122 kilos of packaging …............ (2795 in 2016)
- 9501 kilos of paper …................... (7835 in 2016)
- 11160 kilos of glass ….................. (10914 in 2016)
How do we exercise our responsibility?
From the hotel several measures have been taken to fulfill our commitment to the environment and with Menorca as a Biosphere Reserve:
- The placement of paper, cardboard, glass and packaging containers in the apartments and green areas of the hotel has facilitated the prior selection of the waste that is subsequently sent to the Insular Consortion for Urban Solid Waste and Energy of Menorca. They take care of recycling or reusing them.
- We collect used oils from both kitchens of our restaurants and send them to a specialized Company for recycling. Do you know that it is one of the main pollutants of water? To avoid it is in our hands.
- We perform a selective collection of fluorescent, batteries, toner and ink cartridges,…ítems commonly used in a Company. We take care that authorized companies pick them up and decide on their reuse.
- The showers of the apartments have devices that allow water to be mixed with air to reduce the flow but without affecting confort or the sensation of quantity water. The only thing that is noticeable is the saving of this natural and scarce resource, which is the water that we need to consume every day.
- Changing 100% of hotel lighting to LED has given us some important advantages: we consume les energy, the bulbs we use are reciclable and, in addition, emit less heat, so less cooling is needed in the environment.
- We have installed two special Brown containers to collect used diapers, an inevitable waste in a family hotel like ours. They prevent odors and bacteria from coming out.
- Next to the reception there is a panel where the green points are located in the hotel facilities so that children and adults know their situation and can make use of them easily.
What do the children themselves think?
Raising awareness of children in reducing the consumption of natural resources and in the reuse and recycling of waste, thus decreasing the consumption of other materials, is teaching them a very important value: that caring for this planet is everybody's job.
At the Kikoland Club we promote respect for the environment and the reuse of discarded materials by holding recycling workshops for children. They have fun and learn that what seems to be no longer useful can have another useful life. Their imagination and creativity do the rest.
In addition, in the recreational activities organized in Kikoland, recycled materials are routinely used so that children can become accustomed to valuing and using them.
Sustainable tourism in Menorca
For some years now, through the Travelife Sustainability System, the Royal Son Bou Family Club has undergone an external audit that verifies our sustainable practices.
Menorca was declared a Biosphere Reserve in 1993 by UNESCO. This is a responsibility that we all assume on the island and we make known to those who visit us. The aim is to harmonize economic development, the consumption of resources and the conservation of a natural and landscape heritage of quality to the maximum.
For this reason, our commitment as a company is to minimize the impact caused by the workers and visitors of the hotel, a thousand each day, and to offer a quality tourism activity that is socially and environmentally responsible.
We provide workers and clients with the necessary elements to exercise this responsibility. And they never fail. We appreciate the participation of all of you in this task. All our actions have a direct impact on the environment and your help is very important to conserve Menorca's natural heritage. What measures do you take at home to prevent the environmental deterioration of the planet?